Sunday, 24 January 2010

Kitchen Wet Bag Tutorial

As promised here is a quick and easy tutorial to make a kitchen wetbag. If you are thinking, "What the heck is she talking about?", look back to last weekend's post on my sewing projects. So without further ado......Here ya go!

Materials needed:
Pretty fabric (This shop has some really pretty choices)
Pul (a waterproof fabric used inside) (I buy mine here)
12 inch zipper
Snaps and snap press/snap pliers
(You could also use buttons here if you don't have snaps handy)



Step 1: Cut your fabric. (I like to iron my print fabric first to get a nice crisp start...keep the iron away from your PUL) Start by cutting two 11x15 inch pieces from your PUL. Do the same with your outer print fabric. Cut two 3 1/2 inch 8 inch pieces for your straps.


Step 2: Fold in about 1/4 inch on one short side and both long sides of both strap pieces. Press with and iron.


Step 3: Fold your pressed strap pieces in half length wise and press. They should look like this:


Step 4: Sew along the top and side edge of the straps. You can leave the bottom edge raw because it will be hidden in between the layers once it's assembled.

Step 5: Lay your PUL shiny side up. Place your zipper along the short edge of the fabric. Your zipper should also be right side up (the side with the zipper pull). Place your outer fabric pretty side down on top of the zipper (short side along the zipper). It should look like this. (The red is only in the picture to show contrast against the table.)



Step 6: I like to pin along this top edge through the PUL, zipper, and outer fabric. PUL can be slippery and tricky to sew and this helps me keep it in place.Sew along with the edge of the presser foot matched up with the edge of the fabric. Do this with the PUL on top, it seems to slip less and is easier for me to sew this way.


Step 7: Now fold down both the inner and outer fabrics so that the zipper is sandwiched between the PUL and outer material and so that the other edge of the zipper is exposed on the top. Like this:



Step 8: Lay your other piece of outer material right side up. Put your zipper piece on top of this. The pretty side of the piece you just finished sewing will rest against the pretty side of the piece you just laid down. Now, set your other piece of PUL on top of this, shiny side down. Pin like a crazy.



Step 9: Measure in an equal distance on both sides of the fabric. I go in about an inch to an inch and a half. Slide your strap pieces in at those spots so that the raw edge sticks out the top along the zipper edge a little bit. As shown in the following pictures. Pin the straps in place.


Step 10: Sew along the pinned edge with the pul side on top. Once you finish your seam, unfold your project like this and partially unzip the zipper.

Step 11: Maneuver your pieces so that the pul pieces are right sides together and the outer pieces are right sides together with the zipper in the middle. Like so:


Step 12: Start sewing along the bottom edge of your PUL pieces. Start in the middle of the bottom edge. Sew all the way around, sewing over the zipper and stopping about an inch in along the same bottom edge that you started with. It should look like this, with a space open along the bottom of the PUL for turning.


Step 13: The FUN part! STick your hand through that hole you left open and grab the bottom of the outer fabric. Pull in through. Your bag should now be right side out! Now, remember that spot we left open... fold the edges in and stitch it closed with your machine staying as close to the edge as possible while still getting both sides in. Go slow on this part. Your are sewing on the shiny sides of the fabric and it is tricky!


This is what the bottom seam should look like after you stitch it. If you don't like this look, you can always hand stitch. (that't not my idea of fun) The seam is going to be on the inside and noone will see it anyway.


Step 14: Apply your snaps or buttons and voila...a beautiful kitchen wet bag!


The possibilities are endless. You can easily alter the size of your wet bag, or the strap placement to make it any type of wet bag you'd like. Happy sewing!

***Feel free to sell items made from this tutorial. I just ask that you mention in your listing that it was sewn from the Once Upon a Baby Tutorial, and link to this post.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Genius. I'm really going to have to make one of these -- so sick of icky washcloths in a bucket in the laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this! I am going to be writing a post about unPaper Towels in the bathroom soon, I hope you don't mind that I link my readers to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Thanks for this! I was just thinking about kitchen wetbags and how it was probably something I could make myself. This looks do-able even though I'm not an avid sewer!

    I think I'll do as the poster above and blog about this idea (I'll link to you, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind one bit you link to this. In fact I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bag looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my kitchen,when i bought my house through costa rica homes for sale i expected to have a big kitchen and now i am really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! So handy for the kitchen : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. what do you use them for?

    ReplyDelete

Find Me On Pinterest

Search This Blog

Loading...

Grab my Button

Once Upon a Baby

Followers

My Favorites

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana